Well the toile didn’t fit! , my waist is too big…but the skirt from the hip down looks great.
I like the tulip shape as it gives a bit more hip , optical illusion making my waist look smaller , or am I just fooling myself ?
Anyhow to accommodate my thicker waist , I added a scrap piece through the centre front of the yoke , this was a bit of a mistake as this has altered the curve at the bottom of the yoke and should have been added across the whole width , I will add the extra correctly when I re-cut the pattern piece.
The back yoke sat too high, I do have quite a shallow back, so I have reduced the height, this time I slashed the toile more evenly which means the yoke bottom seam wasn’t so distorted.
The instructions advised to reflect the hems , however I underestimated how curved the hem is , it will need facing but is a lovely shape .
I re-cut the yokes , spreading the additional needed across the whole width , so is now more of a square!
Best disguised by shoddy photo ….
I reattached the revised yokes to the original skirt pieces and was pleased with the fit and the front yoke seam now runs straight.
Happy with everything it was time to cut it out from the kaftan, I just cut along the seams as they were french seams and very narrow.
The kaftan was made with the pattern running horizontally , but was wide enough for me to fit the skirt pieces across – luckily .
I pinned the layers to ensure the print ran straight across the fold.
With a bit of fiddling I managed to get the pattern centred on the front , back, yokes and pockets backs .
I didn’t bother with trying match the facings or pocket bags , to be honest I don’t think I had enough as the repeat is pretty large.
I cut the skirt pieces from lightweight black cotton for the lining, I will bag the skirt out , so no seam finishing required!
All ready to get under the machine
I’m looking forward to having this finished soon , a cotton skirt will be great for this flash of warmer weather.