Remake Print Skirt Progress 

Hello again

Well the toile didn’t fit!  , my waist is too big…but the skirt from the hip down looks great.

I like the tulip shape as it gives a bit more hip , optical illusion making my waist look smaller , or am I just fooling myself ? 

Anyhow to accommodate my thicker waist , I added a scrap piece through the centre front of the yoke , this was a bit of a mistake as this has altered the curve at the bottom of the yoke and should have been added across the whole width , I will add the extra correctly when I re-cut the pattern piece.

The back yoke sat too high, I do have quite a shallow back, so I have reduced the height, this time I slashed the toile more evenly which means the yoke bottom seam wasn’t so distorted.

The instructions advised to reflect the hems , however I underestimated how curved the hem is , it will need facing but is a lovely shape .

The pattern is available here burda #116 , there is also an alternative shorter style with zipper embellished on the yoke see burda #115

I  re-cut the yokes , spreading the additional needed across the whole width , so is now more of a square!

Best disguised by shoddy photo ….

I reattached the revised yokes to the original skirt pieces and was pleased with the fit and the front yoke seam now runs straight.

Happy with everything it was time to cut it out from the kaftan, I just cut along the seams as they were french seams and very narrow.

The kaftan was made with the pattern running horizontally , but was wide enough for me to fit the skirt pieces across – luckily .

I pinned the layers to ensure the print ran straight across the fold.

With a bit of fiddling I managed to get the pattern centred on the front , back, yokes and pockets backs .

I didn’t bother with trying match the facings or pocket bags , to be honest I don’t think I had enough as the repeat is pretty large.

I cut the skirt pieces from lightweight black cotton for the lining, I will bag the skirt out , so no seam finishing required!

All ready to get under the machine 

I’m looking forward to having this finished soon , a cotton skirt will be great for this flash of warmer weather.

Advertisements

Star Jersey Quilted Baby Playmat

Hello

I have just finished making a playmat as a new baby gift, As I like a challenge, I choose to applique stars onto a fab green jersey, I was a bit apprehensive about quilting a stretchy fabric , but was amazed to find it quilted without any problem!

The stars were cut from stashed cotton fabrics as was the seersucker binding.

I used green jersey on both sides sandwiching fleece in between as batting , the result is a lovely soft and warm playmat .
The stars were tacked and then hand embellished with simple running stitches,  when these were all done I added the jersey backing , ensuring the layers were flat took a bit of extra time .

Once it was all pinned securely,  it was on to my Bernina and her walking foot to echo quilt the design.

The quilting was led by the design , I edge stitched a central star and then worked across to the next one until all stars were done I echo stitched the outline of the design, was fun to do and so pleased with the finished result.
 Let me know what you think.