Remake Print Skirt Progress 

Hello again

Well the toile didn’t fit!  , my waist is too big…but the skirt from the hip down looks great.

I like the tulip shape as it gives a bit more hip , optical illusion making my waist look smaller , or am I just fooling myself ? 

Anyhow to accommodate my thicker waist , I added a scrap piece through the centre front of the yoke , this was a bit of a mistake as this has altered the curve at the bottom of the yoke and should have been added across the whole width , I will add the extra correctly when I re-cut the pattern piece.

The back yoke sat too high, I do have quite a shallow back, so I have reduced the height, this time I slashed the toile more evenly which means the yoke bottom seam wasn’t so distorted.

The instructions advised to reflect the hems , however I underestimated how curved the hem is , it will need facing but is a lovely shape .

The pattern is available here burda #116 , there is also an alternative shorter style with zipper embellished on the yoke see burda #115

I  re-cut the yokes , spreading the additional needed across the whole width , so is now more of a square!

Best disguised by shoddy photo ….

I reattached the revised yokes to the original skirt pieces and was pleased with the fit and the front yoke seam now runs straight.

Happy with everything it was time to cut it out from the kaftan, I just cut along the seams as they were french seams and very narrow.

The kaftan was made with the pattern running horizontally , but was wide enough for me to fit the skirt pieces across – luckily .

I pinned the layers to ensure the print ran straight across the fold.

With a bit of fiddling I managed to get the pattern centred on the front , back, yokes and pockets backs .

I didn’t bother with trying match the facings or pocket bags , to be honest I don’t think I had enough as the repeat is pretty large.

I cut the skirt pieces from lightweight black cotton for the lining, I will bag the skirt out , so no seam finishing required!

All ready to get under the machine 

I’m looking forward to having this finished soon , a cotton skirt will be great for this flash of warmer weather.

Remake print skirt

Hello

A while back I found a skirt pattern in a Burda magazine which I fancied making,  it’s a tulip shape with yoke and pockets!

I have finally  got round to tracing out the pattern , I opted for a size 38/10 which is a little optimistic,  however I am making a toile so I can adjust  (make bigger) as necessary.

I traced the pattern onto calico, I will have to stay stitch all the pieces before making up as I didn’t trace on the grain – which is why you are supposed to trace onto paper.

I added the seam allowance and hems .

I’ll whizz up the toile and see how (or if) it fits and then I plan to make it up in cotton , I have a lovely wax print which is currently a full length kaftan but am hopeful has enough fabric in it to make this skirt , I won’t be able to pattern match but as the seams are on the sides I should get away with it!

I’ll let you know how I get on.